Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Della's Rolls by Ina R.

It isn't Della's fault, but these rolls were a flop!!  I think they caught wind of the fact that I wanted to take them to a Relief Society activity.  That is always the kiss of death for any recipe.  I definitely killed the yeast. I always have problems with recipes that require me to scald milk.  I stuck my finger in the milk and it didn't seem too hot, but it obviously was.  I wasn't sure they were ruined until I rolled them out, so I will show you the picture of my failed rolls.  I didn't have the heart to make them again, because I might just ruin them all over again, so I just made Wonderful One Hour Rolls for Relief Society.  This recipe is very similar to my mother's fabulous roll recipe, and the dough had good flavor.  So, if you think you have mastered the art of scalding milk you should definitely try them.

Della's Rolls by Ina R.

1 c milk
1/4 c shortening
1/4 c sugar
31/2-4 c flour (this may be a lot, start with 3 c)
2 or 3 eggs (I used 2)
1 yeast cake (1 T yeast)
2/3 tsp salt (make it slightly heaping)

Scald milk and cool.  Sprinkle yeast over the top and let rise a little.  Beat the eggs and everything else, starting with the smaller flour measurement, and adding more if necessary.  Let rise until double.  Melt a cube of butter.  Roll the dough out to 1/4-1/2 inch thick.  Cut in circles.  Dip in butter and fold in half.  Place on a baking sheet and rise until double.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.  For sweet rolls, add 1/4 c more sugar and 1/4 c more shortening.

No comments:

Post a Comment