Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Mince Meat Cookies - Mildred M.


Well I put this one off until last.  As a child they would talk about the "suet" in mince meat.  I never ever ever was going to eat anything that had "SOOT" in it and I didn't.  I was an adult and read a recipe that talked about suet and realized I had interpreted the name wrong.  But, my childhood memory has lasted many years.  Until I was assigned this cookie I had never even found it in the store.  I broke down and bought mince meat.  I read the ingredients on the mince meat and thought maybe it isn't as bad as I thought.  Maybe....  So here it is.
The instructions on this recipe are extremely vague.  It doesn't say to mix or roll out anything.  I could tell it was a filled cookie from the limited instructions.  There is no baking time or temperature.  I added a few instructions in hopes they will make sense.  Not so bad but raisin filled is GREAT!

Mince Meat Cookies - Mildred M.

3  C. Sugar                                                        8  C. Flour
1 pint  Sour Cream                                            1  tsp. Soda
1/2  Cube Butter (melted)                                  6  tsp. Baking Powder
1 pint  Sour Milk                                               2  tsp. Vanilla   
4  Eggs              

Mix all wet ingredients.  Sift dry ingredients and mix into wet ingredients.  Add enough extra flour to make a soft dough that can be easily handled.  I used about 1/2 C. extra.  Refrigerate approx. 3 hrs. as you would a sour cream sugar cookie and the dough will be easier to handle.  Roll dough out until quite thin but will hold together when filling and baking.  Cut out into circles.  (I did large circles and folded them in half to distinguish between raisin filled and mince meat filled.)  Fill with mince meat and rub the edge with a little water and pres lightly to seal the edges.  Bake at 400o F. 12 - 15 min. depending on how dark you would like your cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment