Monday, December 30, 2013

Carrot Pudding & Lemon Sauce - Mildred M.


I must admit I was avoiding this one, and now I really wish I hadn't, it was delicious!  I substituted cranberries for the raisins and next time I will just keep them out entirely, and reduce the recipe by 1/2 an egg, otherwise it was delicious.  I cooked it in a 1 1/2 qt glass bowl in my steamer.  Since the steamer only has a timer for 75 min I set my regular timer to come and add time to the steamer and to add water as needed.  I might just place it in the bowl and try it over the stove steamer next time,  to see which works better.  It really was delicious.  I was thinking a lemon sauce would be good on this and mom mentioned she remembered Grandma making carrot pudding with lemon sauce so I looked in the misc section and sure enough, Mildred had a lemon sauce.  It also was delicious.  Most of my kids really liked it and it wasn't soggy like I thought it would be.  It isn't carrot cake, :) but it is pretty good.  One note, I rinsed the grated potatoes to avoid them turning brown and it worked really well.

Carrot Pudding
1 C grated carrots
1 C grated potatoes
1/2 C melted fat, I used shortening
1 C sugar
1 C raisins, opt
1 t soda
1/2 t salt
1 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
2 C flour
2 eggs (1 1/2 if omitting raisins)

Mix together and place over steam for 3 hours.  Serve warm with Lemon Sauce.

Lemon Sauce
1 T cornstarch
3/4 C sugar
Dash salt
3/4 C water
1 egg
1 T butter
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t grated lemon zest

Mix together, bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment