Sunday, November 17, 2013

Porcupines - Romaine F. & Birdean M.

So I had a picture, but there were technical difficulties.  Let's just say they look like porcupine meeatballs.  :)

This recipe was really yummy.  Ever since we had to focus on eating GF I have been looking for a good porcupine recipe that doesn't use Campbell's Tomato soup.  This one is pretty close, however, next time I will add some Worchestershire Sauce.  The only other issue I had was that I don't normally keep tomato juice on hand, but I will be now.  For us it was a solid 3, with the potential of being a 3-1/2.  

I fought the tomato juice in cans because that as all the store had.  One thing I found was that I ended up needing about 5 cans of juice, instead of the 3 (equal to 2 cups) the recipe called for.

Porcupines
1/2 C Rice
1 lb ground beef
2 small onions, minced
2 T minced green pepper
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1/8 t thyme
2 T shortening
2-3 1/2 C tomatoes juice
1 t Worchestershire Sauce

Mix all but the juice together and form into meat balls.  Cook in hot shortening.  Pour juice over meatballs and simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours or until rice is tender.  Turn meatballs occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment