Monday, November 11, 2013

Fruit Bars - Hilda G.

These cookies are fast, easy, tasty, but....tooo thin.
I think there may be a typo on the size of pan to use because the cookies are so thin.  But, maybe that is right because you are only suppose to cook it 10-12 min.  It states 13" x 18".  This size makes the cookies so flat that the icing almost overpowers them.  I think I would put it in a 9" x 13" next time and bake it about 15-20 min.(?) so that the cookie part is a little thicker.  The icing recipe also says a pkg. of powdered sugar.  As a child I remember 1 lb. boxes of powdered sugar so that is what I started with and then added more because I didn't think I had enough to frost them.  I should have only used the 1 lb.  The icing is a little too thick.  I think this cookie has a lot of potential.  The orange flavor adds a fun twist with the raisins and nuts.  I think Mom made these occasionally, but, as a child the raisins were not my favorite.  Once again I took a short cut with my food processor.  I put all of the dry ingredients with the nuts and raisins and pushed the button.  The nuts and raisins were chopped and ground wonderfully and the flout kept them from sticking too bad to the blade.  Great Shortcut!  I would make these again especially if I needed a cookie that would stay moist for serving the next day.  It has better flavor today than yesterday!

Fruit Bars - Hilda G.

1  Egg                                                               2  1/2  C. Flour
1  C. Sugar                                                       1/8  tsp. Salt
1/2  C. Shortening                                             1/2  tsp. Nutmeg
1/4  C. Orange Juice                                         1/2  tsp. Cinnamon
1  Tbs. Grated Orange Rind                              1  tsp. Soda
1/2  C. Chopped Nuts                                      1  C. Raisins, ground

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add juice and egg and blend.  Add dry ingredients, orange rind, nuts, and raisins.  Dough will be stiff!  Press on cookie sheet 13" x 18".  Bake no longer than 10-12 min. at 400o.F.  While still hot ice with 1 pkg. powdered sugar, 1 heaping Tbs. butter, grated rind of orange and enough orange juice to make a nice stiff frosting.  Cut into bars.  Good hot but better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment