Monday, November 25, 2013

Cool Mint Dessert - Cleone W.

I decided to do this as a pie instead of a cake because I thought it would look really pretty.  I was right.  This is a dessert I will add to my regular routine.  The flavor was wonderful if you like the chocolate and mint flavors together.  It was not too difficult to make.  I used a graham cracker crust instead of vanilla wafer because that is what I had.  I don't think it was at all distracting from the flavor.  I also used cocoa instead of the unsweetened bakers chocolate.  I did NOT add the extra butter you do when you substitute.  I also used miniature marshmallows.  I figured about 1 1/4 C. of marshmallows was a good amount.  When it says to let it sit overnight it really does make a difference.  It softens the crushed mint and spreads the flavor through the whipped cream and marshmallows so it is a soft and pleasing flavor.  A real hit if you like peppermint!

Cool Mint Dessert - Cleone W.

1/2   C. Butter                                              10  lg. Marshmallows (1 1/4  C. miniature)
1  C Confectioners Sugar                              1  C. Chopped Nuts
3  Eggs, separated                                        1  C. Crushed Vanilla Wafers
2  oz. Unsweetened Chocolate                      1  C. Whipping Cream
1/4  lb. Peppermint Candy, crushed

Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg yolks and beat.  Add melted chocolate gradually, beating constantly.  Add 1/2 C. nuts.  Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.  Pour into 9" x 9" cake pan lined with 1/2 C. cookie crumbs and chill.  (Or: use a 9" graham cracker or vanilla wafer pie shell.  Omit crumbs for top).  Whip cream and combine with candy, marshmallows and nuts.  Pour over chilled chocolate layer and top with cookie crumbs.  Chill overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment