Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sweet & Sour Pork by Cleone W

This is a basic pork stir fry, but very good.  If I did it again, I would cook the cubed pork all the way in some oil in the skillet, then add the vegetables right into that.  It seemed like boiling the meat took some of the flavor out.  I really liked the way it did the sauce because it thickened very quickly with no lumps.  Also, I used a red instead of green pepper just because I happened to have one in the fridge.

Sweet and Sour Pork
1 1/2 lbs cubed pork
1 diced green pepper
1 med chopped onion
2/3 C cubed pineapple
2 C water
1/2 C vinegar (I used white)
1/2 C water
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C corn starch
1/2 C pineapple juice

Brown pork cubed and add water.  Simmer 45 minutes and drain (this is the step I would skip).  Combine vegetables and pineapple and cook in butter for few minutes (I just cooked them in with the pork).  Keep vegetables crisp.  Make sauce by bringing vinegar, water, & sugars to boil.  Combine corn starch & pineapple juice.  Add to hot mixture and cook until thickened.  Pour over pork and vegetables.  Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment