Monday, March 18, 2013

7 Layer Cookies - Rita M.





These cookies are very simple and easy.  We have all seen versions of these over the years.  I felt they are more a candy than a cookie.  They are really sweet.  It is as if you are eating a handful of chocolate and butterscotch chips together.  Wait!  What is wrong with that.  If you have cholesterol issues, this is not the cookie for you.  I would make these again but I would try less chips than I put in and maybe add 1/4 C. more graham crackers.  They didn't hold together very well.  I used pecans on one end and almond on the other end of the pan.  I left the center nut free for anyone with nut allergies.  The recipe calls for small bags of chips.  I vaguely remember seeing small bags but not for years.  Mom had X-lg bags of chips so I decided to just use the regular 11 or 12 oz. bags to see what would happen.  I was pleased with the results and took them to the School Board Elections I was working at so I wouldn't eat the whole pan myself.  Too sweet.

7 LAYER COOKIES -  Rita M.

In a 9" x 13" cake pan, place the following in order given.
1.  1/2 C. Butter or Margarine, melted.
2.  Sprinkle over it - 1 - 1/4 C. Graham Cracker crumbs (adjusted as written above)
3.  Sprinkle over it - 1 C. Coconut
4.  Sprinkle over it - 1 Sm Bag Chocolate Chips (maybe 2/3 a bag 12 oz. bag)
5.  Sprinkle over it - 1 Sm Bag Butterscotch Chips (maybe 2/3 a bag 12 oz. bag)
6.  Drizzle over it - 1 Can Eagle Brand Milk (no other brand will do)
7.  Sprinkle over it - 1- 1/2 C. Chopped Nuts (your preference, pecans are best)
Bake in 350o F. oven for 30 min.  Cool and cut.

1 comment: