Monday, March 25, 2013

Basic Water Fondant #1 - Della G.

 BASIC WATER FONDANT #1 - Della G.
The fondant on the left of the spatula (clear looking) is the candy before stirring.  The fondant to the right is after it has been stirred about halfway.   In the clear part you can see chunks of something.  That is the butter that rose to the top and set up as it cooled.  It remained a little chunky for a lot longer than I expected during the stirring process.  It did finally mix in VERY smoothly.  I probably should have cooked it a longer but when I tested it, it kind of separated in the water.

This is the fondant after it has been stirred.  As you stir it the glossy look turns dull.  As it rests, it gets duller and more creamy looking.  I have always used cream fondant and this reacted differently than I am use to.  I really wondered if it would work.  It does!  I buttered the cooking pan before adding any ingredients, like I do for fudge, it lessens the risk of stirred candies going to sugar.
 I would have to say I am very pleased with the results.  The colors are truer and the flavors are clearer than cream fondant.  I flavored and colored the fondant Orange-Orange, Pink-Cherry, Brown-Root Beer, Green-Mint, and Yellow-Lemon.  I am going to shape the rest of the fondant egg shapes and use them for the grandchildren's Easter party on Wednesday.  That is a good way to use up too much candy.
This is the finished result of the orange.  The centers are very soft and creamy and wonderful.  I am not the best dipper but it turned out really good.  I may start using this instead of cream fondant for Christmas chocolates.  Lower cholesterol and less calories than cream, and just as good.  While typing up the recipe I just realized why it may be a little too soft.  The recipe calls for 1 1/8 C.  Water.  Yesterday I read it 1 1/3 C.  (oops).  The recipe is very forgiving I would have to say.  It worked anyway but read the recipe correctly.

BASIC WATER FONDANT #1 - Della G.

4 C. White Sugar                                                   1/4 C.  White (karo) Syrup
1 1/8 C. Water                                                      4 TBS  Butter
Dash of Salt

Mix all ingredients together (including butter).  Place over low heat until dissolved.  Cover 5 minutes to break down any remaining sugar crystals.  Let boil to soft ball stage (232o).  Pour into butter platter and let stand until it becomes thick.  Then beat candy until it becomes creamy and the glossy sheen dims.  Add color and flavorings and place in tightly covered bowls until ready to use.  It made approximately 4 cups of fondant.

No comments:

Post a Comment