Friday, March 22, 2013

Coconut Lemon Bars by Helen J.

Looking at this recipe, I have to say it's not my kind of thing.  My kids will make a mess eating it (IF they eat it), and my husband will ask why I didn't just make brownies, and I will enjoy it, but also ask myself why I didn't just make brownies.  So, the answer is... we make it because it tastes good!  And it is dairy free, so Ben can enjoy.  If I hadn't been thinking of the dairy factor, I might have replaced the shortening in the crust with butter, which would give it a different taste.  It tastes great with the shortening, though.  I also don't recommend leaving out the nuts because it would be runny without them, so if you don't like nuts, just don't make these cookies.

Coconut Lemon Bars
1/2 C soft shortening
1 C flour
1/2 C brown sugar
Press together, flatten to cover bottom of ungreased 9x13 pan.  Bake 10 minutes at 350, then spread with topping.

Topping:
2 eggs
1 C brown sugar
1 t grated lemon rind
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1 C coconut
1 C chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1/2 C raisins (I used blueberry craisins)
Beat eggs and stir in sugar, lemon rind, juice, and salt.  Mix coconut, nuts, and raisins.  Spread over first mixture and return to oven.  Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool and cut into bars.  Raisins can be left out if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment