Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Corned Beef Casserole-Della G.

When I was first looking through my assigned copes, the first thing I noticed was the amount of recipes with, what I lovingly call, Cream of Gluten. I normally avoid recipes with these soups, not because I can't find a substitute (I have a decent cream of gluten sub), but because I hate making the extra step. Casseroles are suppose to be easy and making the soup, while easy is one more step. That said, this is one recipe I couldn't wait to try. And while I swapped several gluten-filled recipes I kept this one and am so glad I did. I made a gluten-free Cream of Mushroom for the soup and I used potato chips for the buttered crumbs so that I didn't have to make two recipes. The recipe calls for noodles or leftover potatoes, so I baked 8 med sized potatoes early in the morning. I also rewrote the recipe so the ingredients are in a better order. I also added green chili (because I live in New Mexico and found everything is better with a little green chili) to one half of the casserole and we loved it!

My favorite part about this recipe was the direction to bake in a "modern" oven. Love that it was necessary to include that, tells you just how close wood stoves were, and perhaps some of the ladies at church still cooked with one.

In a word, this recipe was AMAZING! All but one of my kids loved it, the one who didn't like it thought it was too cheesy. I think if it had regular cheese instead of American, which I never cook with, he would have been fine. This is a recipe that will be going into our regular rotation of recipes and corned beef will be a regular staple on our shelves.

Corned Beef Casserole
1 12-oz can corned beef
1/4 C chopped onion
1 8oz bag of noodles cooked or 8 med-sized left-over potatoes, diced
1/4 lb American cheese
1 can Cream of chicken or mushroom (GF sub recipe below)
1C milk
3/4 C buttered crumbs or plain potato chips
1 can green chili, opt

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Cook noodles to al dente in salted water or dice potatoes and place in a large bowl. Drain/rinse corned beef and dice into bite-sized pieces, add to potatoes. Also add cheese and onion to potatoes. Mix soup and milk and stir into potato mixture until all ingredients are evenly covered. Pour into a greased 2qt casserole dish. Top with crumbs or chips. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Serves 8.


GF cream of Mushroom Soup
1 1/2 T butter
1 sm can mushrooms
2 t minced onion
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8-1/4 tsp pepper (I like pepper)
1t Worcestershire sauce
milk, divided
2 T cornstarch

Drain mushrooms into a 1C liquid measure and dice mushrooms. Add milk tomushroom liquid to equal 1C liquid. In a small saucepan, melt butter over med-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions are soft, about 5 min. Add worcestershire sauce, 3/4 C milk and bring to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch into remaining liquid. Add to boiling soup and stir until thick, at least 2 minutes. It will be very thick, like condensed soup from a can. Use like you would condensed soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment