Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Uncooked Cranberry Salad - Amanda P.


This salad I really remember from Thanksgiving at Grandma's.  It is a salad I always took a small amount of but never a large serving.  I know a lot of my family really like this one, but it is not my favorite.  That is what is so fun about this blog.  Everyone has different taste buds, so unless there is something really wrong with the recipe it pays to sometimes even try # 2's as I am labeling this one.  The recipe is great because it is easy to divide to smaller amounts or increase to feed large crowds.  I chopped the cranberries in my food processor.  It worked great.  Then I chopped the nuts and celery in my food processor together.  It worked great all but the celery.  I left it in 1" pieces.  It would have chopped more even if I would have cut it in 1/2" pieces.  The apples are not as tough to chop so I did them by hand.  The recipe says to serve it with whipped cream or salad dressing, I just mixed it in.  I used the salad dressing version because the family always used the whipped cream version and I wondered how it would be.  The salad dressing gave it a smoother flavor, not such a burst of cranberries.  Either is good.  This salad would really add color to a meal if you needed to add a spark to a meal so it wasn't boring.  It is a little crunchy, not too sweet and very happy to look at.  I chose to half the recipe and I think we will be able to eat that much. 

Unbaked Cranberry Salad - Amanda P.

1  C.  Ground Cranberries                               1  C.  Chopped Celery
1  C.  Chopped Apples                                   1  C.  Chopped Nuts
1  C.  Marshmallows                                       1  C.  Sugar        
Salad Dressing or Cool Whip for dressing

Chop or grind cranberries, add sugar and let sit several hours.  Chop or grind celery, apples and nuts.  Add  marshmallows and let stand until soft.  Add nuts, mix well and serve with whipped cream or salad dressing.         

No comments:

Post a Comment