Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pie Crust by Lillian G

I have never made a pie crust with lard before, so I was really nervous when it called for so much.   I thought it would be greasy.  I didn't need to worry, it was delicious!  The crust turned out flaky and nice. I think I would cut back on the salt a little.  We used the crust to make a fresh peach pie and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the extras for a yummy snack while we waited.



Pie Crust by Lillian G.

3 c flour
1 tsp salt (I would use 1/2-3/4 tsp)
1 c lard (you can find it by the shortening)
approx. 2/3 c water (I don't know how much water I added, but I think it was less than 2/3 c.)

Sift together flour and salt.  Cut in lard until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle cold water over the mixture, 1 T at a time, mixing a little after each addition, until the dough will form a ball.  The more you mix it and knead it, the tougher it will be, so handle the dough as little as possible.  Roll out on a floured board, or between 2 sheets of waxed paper. For one crust, roll out and place in pie plate.  Make a fancy edge and prick the bottom with a fork to let air escape.  Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  For a 2 crust pie, follow the recipes directions, making sure there are slashes in the top, close to the edge, to let steam escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment