Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Custard Pie - Loleen G.


When the recipe says to set it in the oven and then pour the rest of the filling in.  She is right.  I spilled it down the stove door, into the drawer, and onto the floor.  It was a lovely mess.  I have never done that before and I hope to not do it again.  Sorry Natalie.  I think more dripped later after I cleaned it up, sorry Natalie.  .Just for the record, have you ever tasted slightly sweet and milky baked scrambled eggs in a pie crust.  If you haven't I have.  Lets just say custard pie has never been one of my favorite.  This version did not change my view.  Those who tasted it also agreed it needs something but we couldn't decide what.  Is it more sugar, more nutmeg, more vanilla, or wait, I think I will just make a plain cream pie.  Loleen was a great cook!  I loved everything I ever ate at her home.  I guess my tastes have changed or this was never served.  As you can tell I won't be making this again.

Custard Pie - Loleen G.

3  Eggs, slightly beaten                                       1/4  tsp. Salt
1/3  C. Sugar                                                     3  C. Milk, heated
1  tsp. Vanilla                                                     Ground Nutmeg
1  Unbaked Pastry for 9" pie

Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt.  Gradually stir in hot milk.  Combine well, bu don't beat.  Pour half mixture into pastry shell.  Use cup to pour rest of filling into shell after pie is in oven.  It WILL spill if you don't.  Sprinkle nutmeg over top.  Bake at 375o F. about 50 min.  To test insert tip of knife in filling in middle of pie.  If custard is baked, the knife will make a clean cut.  Cool before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment