Monday, September 2, 2013

Lemon Pie — Lillian G.

I was suppose to do pie in July, but didn't get to it, so this is my catch up.  And it was a fantastic catch-up!  This was one of the best lemon pies I have ever had.  Right after I finished making the filling I tasted it and wasn't very impressed.  I didn't think it was lemony enough.  But, once it had a chance to sit and the flavor of the lemon peel infused into the pie, it was amazing.  The method used to make the pudding, is different than I have ever seen, but I really liked it.  I am curious to try this method with a regular pudding since it was very fast and easy.  For Thanksgiving, I highly recommend this pie!!!  

One note, the recipe says to whip the egg whites, but that is only necessary if you are going to make meringue.  Otherwise, save them for another recipe or toss them.  I just topped it with whipped cream because I am bad at making meringue.

Lemon Pie
1 lg or 2 sm lemons
2 eggs
1 1/2 C boiling water
1 C sugar
4 T Cornstarch
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 C boiling water
3 T butter
8-9" baked pie shell

Zest the lemons and then juice the lemons.  Separate eggs and beat yolks and whites separately.  In a med saucepan bring ter to boil.  blend sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Pour a little if boiling water into sugar mixture to make a paste, then pour into boiling water, stirring constantly.  As soon as it boils, cover tightly and turn off heat.  Let cook 5 min.  Remove from heat and stir slowly into egg yolks.  Return to med heat and cook for 2 more min.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice, rind, and butter.  Pour into baked pie shell.  Sprinkle with coconut, if desired, to prevent crust from forming. Top with meringue or whipped cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment