Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Zweiback Pudding - Rua J.

I am a little prejudice.  Because of the name I thought this would be strange.  I was wrong it is quite tasty.  Two of my granddaughters liked it quite a bit.  (This is "edible" was the comment)  It is similar to graham cracker crust & topping with pudding in between.  If you didn't have any cookies or graham crackers for crust, this could be a possible replacement.  I thought I had regular bread crumbs, but I didn't, so I used "Kokkoman's Panko Japanese Style Bread Crumbs" left over from onion rings at Christmas time.  They are bread crumbs that stay crunchy when used for breading.  I am very glad I did.  The crust was a nice soft crust but the topping part stayed crunchy.  I have not had a lot of custards in my life but I love puddings in crust so it was good.  It called for meringue made with egg whites but there was not a recipe so I added one.

Zweiback Pudding - Rue J.

2  C. ground dry Bread Crumbs                                           1/2  C. Butter
1/2  C. Sugar                                                                       1 tsp. Cinnamon

Mix together.  Keep out 1 cup for topping.  Line 9" x 9" square pan with remaining crumb mixture.

Custard Filling

2  C. Milk                                                                            3  Egg yolks
1/2  C. Sugar                                                                       1  Tbs. Corn Starch
1  Tbs.  Butter                                                                      1  tsp. Vanilla

Mix all ingredients together except Vanilla  Cook on med/high heat stirring constantly until boils.  Boil 2 min.  Pour gently over crumb crust so you don't make holes in crust.

Meringue (from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

3  Egg whites                                                                        1/2  tsp. Vanilla
1/4  tsp. Cream of tarter                                                        6  Tbs. Sugar

Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tarter until soft peaks form.  Gradually add sugar, beating till stiff and glossy peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.
Spoon over the custard pudding and seal all edges to pan.  Bake 20 min at 350o F.  Allow to cool completely and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment