Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pie Crust - Rua J.



 I do love pies!  I have made pie crust with lard for years.  Lately it is easier to just get out the shortening.  My what a difference.  Shortening pie crust is stiffer and firmer.  Lard pie crust is soft and pliable.  The only problem is this pie crust is TOO soft and pliable.  It fell apart as fast as I could put it back together.  It may have been too hot.  My hands are also way too hot to begin with.  Cold hands is not my problem. 
This crust compares to the topping on a restaurant meat pie.  It is so soft and flaky it just falls apart.  I choose to make it into a meat pie because I am tired of sweets.  What a wonderful idea.  I just took our left over veg. out of the fridge and put a thick white sauce with a little Velveta, onions and Celery Salt in it.  I might do a thicker crust over a glass bowl and just put it on the top like a restaurant does next time.  Gordon loved this.  We will do this "4" again.

Pie Crust - Rua J.

2  1/2   C.  Flour                                                     1  C.  Lard
1/2  C.  Cold Water                                                Dash Salt or 1/4 tsp.

Blend all ingredients in the food processor until mixed.  It won't take hardly any time.  Roll out on well floured pastry cloth.  This will make 2 8" double crust pies.  This crust is thin but ok.  I would probably use this for 1 and 1/2 pies or 1  10" pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment