Monday, July 29, 2013

Old Fashioned Hot Cakes - Mildred M.

Doesn't this make you want to go to I-HOP for some breakfast.  I just happened to have some raspberries to add interest to the picture.  When I tasted them I-HOP did come to mind.  They are very tasty and light.  I should have added a dollop of whipped cream and I would have been just right.  The recipe made 10, 4"-5" pancakes.  It was interesting.  The recipe I use, uses butter and you beat the egg before adding and beat just until mixed.  This one has you beat well after both liquid ingredients.  I wondered if this would have the flavor and lightness of my usual ones.  They did.  I think I would add the melted butter instead of the shortening again just for added buttery flavor.  Adding the egg unbeaten and beating in must break up the batter enough to keep it light.  I also just beat it with a spoon not a hand mixer (I don't have one) so it probably didn't develop the gluten as well as you might with a mixer.  I would use this recipe again they are very good.

Old Fashioned Hot Cakes - Mildred M.

1  C. Flour                                                    1/2  tsp.  Salt
2  T. Sugar                                                   1  Egg
2  tsp.  Baking Powder                                2 Tbs.  Melted Shortening
1  C. Milk

Sift dry ingredients into bowl and mix with milk and beat.  Add unbeaten egg and melted shortening and beat well.  Cook on hot, ungreased griddle until tops are bubbly.  Turn with spatula and cook until underside is browned to desired shade of brown.  Eat up and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment