Monday, July 8, 2013

Cranberry (Christmas) Jello Salad

I made this for our 4th of July barbeque.  I think the consensus was that it was fine.  Not bad, not wonderful, just fine.  I used my mini-nut chopper to dice everything, and it worked great, even the orange.  I cut them all a little while before I was able to add them, so chopping the apple with the orange helped keep the apple fresh.

The celery was a big sticking point for most.  Why add celery to a jello salad?  I would suggest just leaving the celery out.  I really liked the orange in it!  It added a bit of zing.  I think I will try that in a jello salad in the future.  The cranberries also tasted good, and I would definitely add them to a jello salad in the future.

Since this has cranberries, oranges, and nuts, I think it would be easiest and most appropriate around Christmas.  I had to make a special trip to the one grocery store in the entire valley that sells frozen cranberries this time of year.  At Christmas, I could have easily gotten them anywhere.

Sorry no picture!  I just didn't get one in the craziness of 4th of July.  It was dark red with little bits in it.  :)

Christmas Cranberry Jello Salad by Maude J
2 small packages cherry jello
1 3/4 C sugar (I only put in about 1 cup, and I dissolved it into the cranberries and orange and apple)
4 C water
1 orange (ground)
1 C chopped nuts
1 C celery diced
1-2 apples diced (I used 1 large apple)
2 C cranberries ground

Dissolve jello using 2 C boiling water, then 2 C cold.  Set in frig until syrupy, then add remaining ingredients and let set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment