Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Strawberry Jello Pie by Kathy N.

I have to start with my confessions.  I had some whipping cream in the fridge that I needed to use, and I have heard that you can whip evaporated milk in place of whipping cream, so I decided to whip the cream in place of the evaporated milk.  I don't think it made a huge difference, but it was yummy.  Confession number 2: I didn't put this in a pie plate.  When I crushed the graham crackers it made a ton, so I decided to put it in a 9x13 pan.  I think the pie crust would have overflowed.  I am not sure what 40 graham crackers means.  I used 40 of the little rectangles, or 10 whole big graham crackers.  I wasn't sure how much 2 squares of butter was either.  I used 2 tablespoons.  I think the crust would hold together better with more butter.  I might skip the crust next time and just make the filling.  That is how we did it for the gluten-free girl and it was just as good, so why go to more work and make separate pans?

This recipe was yummy, easy, and doesn't use anything that I don't keep in the basement, so it is definitely a keeper.  We will be experimenting with other flavors.


Strawberry Jello Pie by Kathy N.

1 pkg strawberry Jello ( I used a 6 oz pkg)
1/2 c water
1/4 c sugar
1 tall can evaporated milk, chilled, or 2 cans Bordens condensed milk, or about 3 cups whipping cream
1 tsp lemon extract

Dissolve Jello in water, add sugar and set aside.  Whip milk and add to Jello.  Pour into crust.

Crust:
40 graham crackers
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
2 squares melted butter

Combine and pat into pie pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment