Friday, July 5, 2013

Pie Crust - Mary Mae N.

I know we were suppose to do salad this week, but I didn't have the ingredients or the time to get them, but I did have the ingredients for pie crust and the pudding to go in the crust.  So, I will do a salad recipe next week, and you may enjoy this pie crust recipe this week.  

When I first saw this recipe, and it mentioned making tarts I decided to use the tins I got for my wedding 15 years ago, and have never used, and I am glad I did.  It took some hunting to find them, and I was actually afraid, that in a fit of decluttering, I had gotten rid of them, but they were finally located.   It is good they take up so little space because I really enjoyed making these tarts and want to get more tart tins.  One thing I learned was, that for pie, I like a thick crust, but for small tarts, a thinner crust is better.   That said, this crust was yummy and flaky.  The only issue I had with it was that it was very salty.  However, I think that is more a problem with the age of the recipe than a problem with the recipe, I assume recipes were just saltier then.  For me, in the future, I will half the salt in the recipe to 1 t NOT 2 t, which I did below.

As an FYI, I filled the tarts with Hershey chocolate and Hershey's white chocolate pudding and whipped cream and toasted almonds.  They were delicious!

Pie Crust

2 C flour
1 t salt
2 T vinegar
1 C shortening
1/3 C milk

Mix flour, salt, and shortening together.  Add milk and vinegar,  shape into a ball.  Roll into desired shapes.  Bake at 450 degrees for about 7- 10 minutes for small tart shells.  "Makes a flaky, delectable crust"

No comments:

Post a Comment