Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Oatmeal Lace Cookies - Deseret News


When I first saw this recipe I realized they looked a lot like the Florentine Cookies from Nestle Toll house without the melted chocolate filling.  I compared the recipes and this one is a little different.  But nonetheless, it is divine.  One big change between the recipes is this one calls for placing 1/4 tsp of dough on a cookie sheet instead of 1 tsp.  I really questioned whether the cookie would burn, but it turned out perfect.  That said, using a 1/4 tsp to measure the cookies took forever and so I opted for my cookie scoop and tried to do approx 1/4 tsp with that.  I experimented with various sizes from a 1/2 tsp down to a 1/4 tsp and decided an approx 1/4 tsp was the best answer.  The bigger cookies would be thicker and softer in the middle, but if you stayed small they were nice and crispy.  The smallest cookies in the picture are the measured 1/4 tsp.  The largest cookies is about a 1/2 a tsp and it took a little longer to cook.  The only downside of these cookies is between scooping the dough onto the cookie sheet and baking them, then waiting for them to set once removed from the oven, I ended up standing up, in the kitchen, for almost 1 and 1/2 hours.  But we thought they were worth it.

I strongly recommend these with ice cream.  We had them with Blue Bell Strawberries and Cream and they were delicious!

A few hints:

  • If you pull them off while they are still soft you can shape them (see photo).  
  • If you over cook them slightly they have a carmely flavor.  We liked them best a little overcooked, but no matter how they were cooked, they were delicious!
  • Use a thin metal spatula to remove, while not required it is very useful.  
  • DO NOT let them cool too much on the cookie sheet, they will be difficult to remove
  • If you want to make sandwich cookies use the directions for the Florentine cookies linked above to do the filling.  It is yummy.
  • My microwave is broken and I found I really missed it when it came time to melt the butter.  Good thing the stove worked.  - this isn't really a hint, but I thought it was worth noting.  :)


CORRECTION: I noticed a typo, use 2 teaspooons of vanilla NOT 2 Tablespoons.  

Oatmeal Lace Cookies
1 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
1 C sugar
1 C quick oats
1/4 C cream or evaporated milk
1/4 C light corn syrup
1/2 C melted butter
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375-degrees.  In a bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and sugar.  Add in the quick oats.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.  Drop by 1/4 tsp onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes, watch that they don't burn.  Allow to cool for 2 minutes then remove, using a sharp spatula.  Makes 12 doz 2" cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment