Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Boiled Raisin Cookies, by Helen J.

This recipe has a small typo.  The list of ingredients does not list the 1 c nuts that are listed in the original recipe.  Obvioulsy, this was not a big deal to me, but some may find the nuts essential.  These cookies were just ok.  I was expecting something like an oatmeal raisin cookie, but they have more of the texture of an applesauce or zucchini cookie.  After the first batch baked, I added some oatmeal to the rest of the dough and that made them a little better, but I think I would find a recipe with oatmeal if I want boiled raisin cookies in the future.


Boiled Raisin Cookies by Helen J.

2 c raisins
1 c water
1 c shortening
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
maple flavoring (I used about 1/8 tsp Maplene)
3 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 sp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c nuts

Boil water and raisins together for 5 minutes; cool.  Cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and maple flavoring together.  Add coold raisin mixture.  Add dry ingredients and nuts.  Bake on a well greased cookie sheet (I skipped that step and it was fine) at 350 until "just brown" (This took about 13-14 minutes in my oven).

No comments:

Post a Comment