Thursday, June 27, 2013

Butterscotch Crunchies by Lillian G

I promise I'm catching up!!  But this recipe is from a few weeks ago.  The cookies were very simple and have only three ingredients: Peanut Butter, Corn Flakes, and Butterscotch Chips.  Because of that, it would be a great recipe for a beginner to use or for someone in a hurry, like if you had kids walking in your door in 10 minutes and they were going to be hungry.  I got a little impatient with dropping the cookies onto the wax paper with a spoon, so I ended up just putting the rest into a pan like you would do for rice krispy treats.  Don't do that.  You must drop them onto the wax paper with a spoon because it's impossible to cut them after they set up (unless, of course, you enjoy cleaning up endless little pieces that break away when they are cut).
I thought the Butterscotch chips made the cookies a little waxy, but they may not taste waxy if you use name brand chips.  So I also tried it with chocolate chips, substituting one cup of chocolate chips for the one cup of butterscotch.  I thought the chocolate tasted MUCH better, and they weren't waxy.  I am a big fan of chocolate over butterscotch, so that may have affected what I thought.  I'm giving the recipe three starts, but any time I make it in the future, I'm sure I'll be doing it with chocolate chips.
Butterscotch Crunchies by Lilliam G.
1 - 6 ounce package butterscotch or chocolate chips (1 cup)
3 cups corn flakes
1/4 C peanut butter
Melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter over low heat or in the microwave, stirring constantly over the stove or frequently in the microwave.  Stir in corn flakes.  Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper and allow to set.  Recipe can easily be halved or doubled, since I tried both.

No comments:

Post a Comment