Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Plain Cake and Frosting for Plain Cake by Lillian G.

Plain cake is a great way to describe this.  It is just a yellow cake.  It is yummy.  My mom always used this recipe to make strawberry shortcake, but I used Lillian's frosting recipe.  I made the chocolate variation because, as I have mentioned, my husband only recognizes desserts with chocolate.  There is a typo: The recipe says to add 1/2 c milk 3 different times, but you are only supposed to add it the first 2 times, for a total of 1 c milk.


Plain Cake by Lillian G

1/2 c shortening
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk

Cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Sift together dry ingredients, Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture.  Add 1/2 c of the milk, then another 1/3 of the dry ingredients; repeat.  Beat well.  Bake at 350, 20-25 minutes for layers or 30-35 minutes for a 9x13 pan.  Cake should spring back when touched.  

Frosting for Plain Cake by Lillian G.

4 T shortening (I used butter because I knew I liked it better)
1 tsp vanilla
1 T corn syrup
1/4 c canned milk
Enough powdered sugar to make it spreadable
Optional: 2 heaping T cocoa

Beat until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment